Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Happy 85th Birthday, Baroness Thatcher!

Across the Pond, the day is coming to a close, but, today, October 13th marks Margaret Thatcher's 85th birthday. Last year, Governor Palin offered these remarks regarding the "Iron Lady's" birthday:
I would like to extend warm birthday wishes to Margaret Thatcher today. Baroness Thatcher continues to remain a role model to many people, particularly women, around the world. Her career is a collection of "firsts." She was the youngest female Conservative Party member to stand for election in history, she was the first woman to hold the title Leader of the Opposition, and she was the first woman to become Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

As Prime Minister, she took an active role in defending economic freedom and democratic ideals. Her push to privatize British industry and lower tax rates led to a substantial economic expansion in the United Kingdom. She was just as influential in foreign policy. Along with President Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II, Prime Minister Thatcher recognized the evil of Communism and worked tirelessly to erode the power and influence of the Soviet Union.

Her life and career serve as a blueprint for overcoming the odds and challenging the "status quo." She started life as a grocer's daughter from Grantham and rose to become Prime Minister - all by her own merit and hard work. I cherish the accomplishments of Margaret Thatcher and will always count her as one of my role models.
Governor Palin is much like Margaret Thatcher. Governor Palin is the daughter of a school teacher; Margaret Thatcher is the daughter of a grocer. Both have been ostracized by the Establishment. Both have scrutinized about their accent and mannerisms. Both are outspoken, bold women who believe wholeheartedly in the free market, personal liberty, and strong national security. As much as Governor Palin is compared to President Reagan, comparisons can be made to Margaret Thatcher as well. Personally, I like to say that Governor Palin is the political love child of Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher.

Often times, Governor Palin's rhetoric echos that of President Reagan, and quite often, whether intentionally or coincidentally, her rhetoric echos that of Margaret Thatcher:
On a woman being the national leader-

Margaret Thatcher: "Any woman who understands the problems of running a home will be nearer to understanding the problems of running a country."

Governor Palin: "“I think this country would be served very well by a woman president, someone who has raised a family. We just want to get from point A to point B and get the job done. I don’t waste time; I’m too busy."

On facing criticism-

Margaret Thatcher: " If my critics saw me walking over the Thames they would say it was because I couldn't swim."

Governor Palin:
"I couldn't do anything without Nick Carney griping about it. That was the nature of our relationship. I could have walked across Lake Lucile on the water, and he would have griped about me splashing."
On their upbringing-

Margaret Thatcher-"I just owe almost everything to my father and it's passionately interesting for me that the things that I learned in a small town, in a very modest home, are just the things that I believe have won the election. " -

Governor Palin" My mom and dad both worked at the elementary school in our small town. And among the many things I owe them is one simple lesson: that this is America, and every woman can walk through every door of opportunity."


On remaining true to conservative principles-

Margaret Thatcher-"Standing in the middle of the road is very dangerous; you get knocked down by the traffic from both sides."

Sarah Palin-"The GOP needs to live the planks of its platform, not just offer lip service."

Happy birthday, Margaret Thatcher!

No comments:

Post a Comment